Most programming languages are designed to solve a particular problem in a group of problems. Looking from this perspective, the Perl programming language was created to solve some common issues among software development difficulties. As such, the programming language Perl acquired great popularity and has a broad domain of application.
What is Perl?
Perl’s name comes from Practical Extraction and Report Language, which precisely explains this program’s most potent properties. It is practical, fast, and able to extract and analyze files and data and generate output data.
- It enables dynamic programming; it was created in 1987 by Larry Wall of the United States, a linguist by profession who worked at NASA.
- it is object-oriented; many frameworks are written in this language
- It was developed as a scripting language to combine C’s right sides and Linux’s Bourne Shell.
- it is an open-source software
- In the beginning, it was used for administrative tasks (it is still used in this field). In time, the Perl program was seen as an ideal in many different ways, such as server-side Internet programming.
- It has enormous popularity because it has evolved into a language that is used very much on the server-side.
- Some say that Java, Python, or C++ take over its popularity, but this is not true. It is very much used.
Where can I learn Perl?
Perl belongs to the elementary languages because they have a simple syntax similar to natural languages. Perl achieves extended functionality with a minimal set of commands. These are some websites and courses you can find online that have proven among programmers to be very useful.
- Perl. Org Blog.
- Perl | Reddit.
- Perl Weekly Newsletter.
- The Perl Foundation.
- MetaCPAN – Recent CPAN uploads of Perl.
- Perl.com – programming news, code, and culture.
- Perl Maven.
- Linux Magazine Perl Columns by Mike Schilli.
- Udemy -Learn Perl 5 By Doing It
- Udemy -Perl Programming for Beginners
- Udemy – Enhance Your Skillset with Perl
- LinkedIn Learning – Perl 5 Essential Training
- Learn-Perl – Free Perl Tutorial
Jobs and salary
All of these and many more IT professionals use Perl as a program for writing codes.
- Senior Perl Developer
- Remote Perl Developer
- Perl Software Engineer
- Perl Programmer
- Perl Catalyst
For example, the Perl Developer salary is somewhere around $118,335, as the website ZipRecruiter writes. The average salary for “Perl developer” varies from nearly $83,647 per year for Entry Level Java Developer to $127,338 per year for Back End Developer according to another statistic.
Flexible, versatile, and adaptable programming language
Perl is proven to be the best program for processing text files. Developers appreciate it for its incredible features and flexibility. It used to be known as the “Internet adhesive tape” because it solves data problems quickly and easily. It is a reliable, cross-platform program.
Even though Perl was primarily created for script administration, it grew in diversity and purpose over time. Nowadays, it is used for many things, including GUI development, web advancement, system administration, and so much more.